Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)
An Abdominoplasty or “Tummy Tuck” is a surgical procedure most commonly performed on male or female patients who have excess loose skin and fat in the abdominal region. This can be caused by multiple pregnancies (in the case of women), substantial weight loss or can be inherited and no amount of exercise can solve this problem. A tummy tuck procedure involves the removal of excess skin and fat as well as the repair of any separated muscles. View examples of our successful procedures in our Tummy Tuck Gallery.
The aim of a tummy tuck is to remove sagging skin and excess fat from the middle and lower abdomen and repair any separated muscles. The surgery can be very effective in reducing the bulge caused by excess skin, fat and loose abdominal muscles. The result is a flatter, firmer and shapelier abdomen.
While a tummy tuck can be a cosmetic procedure, it may also be partly a reconstructive procedure that is necessary to:
- Correct abdominal abnormalities
- Correct structural defects of the abdomen and improve function
- Create a flatter appearance of the abdomen
- Repair an abdominal hernia following previous abdominal surgery
- Remove a large apron of fat also called the “pannus” that can cause problems with hygiene, dermatitis and skin infections and difficulties with walking. The surgical removal of the pannus is called an “apronectomy”
There are a number of tummy tuck options available that include the mini Tummy Tuck and Brazilian Tummy Tuck (waist recontouring) and Dr Milovic will discuss these options with you at your first consultation.
Your goals, expectations and an understanding of achievable results are most important and these will also be discussed during your consultation.